Friday 6 June 2008

The Boulder


Logistically the next step is going to be difficult. My wife mentioned last night that it all looked a bit messy! And I fear things are only going to get worse once that big boulder is broken up. I think at the moment that its still holding up a bank of loose rocks.

The initial postings that I've put on Pistonheads.con have attracted some positive attention, and this is encouraging. Someone likens the boulder to a famous booby-trap...



My wife was actually fairly excited too once I'd explained, and was more annoyed that I hadn't waited for her to be there. Her first comments were..."So you haven't been at work today then?" followed by "They don't leave things very tidy do they?" The latter comment may also have had something to do with the "practice" holes we dug in another part of the garden, so as to get a hang of operating the digger.

The boulder remained a puzzling part. Its very smooth and round, unlike all the other rocks that are strewn over the entrance. And whilst we live in the bottom of a valley (meaning it could feasibly have been smoothed by historic running water) the bunker / tunnel entrance (whatever it turns out to be) is clearly located right under it, which in my mind means it must have been placed there. The entrance road going into the tunnel on the wartime picture is unobscured too. Primitive booby trap? Perhaps a bit far fetched! I'm loathed to break it actually, because it would make a nice sort of monolith feature in the garden . But I guess unless someone has a chinook handy to airlift it, I have to break it up if I want to explore further



I also actually found several things while digging the practice holes yesterday (although these were kinda insignificant to everything else). I don't think any of them are wartime articles - some interesting old bottles and jars, and something I was quite excited about - a small carved granite trough. I was quite pleased with that as it is fairly vaulable - £300ish? I'm now waiting waiting for the guy to come back with the digger bits.









Finally, I found a post war photo of the property...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's amazing. I'm from Dundee and seeing that Marmalade pot is fantastic. We have several of those as well as others from the days when Dundee was famous for its Jute, Jam and Journalism.

SEOdefector said...

Getting very interesting now, makes youo wonder how they got that massive boulder there in the first place. Looks cool as hell and I can see why you would want to keep it.

Just out of interest, where exactly are you, I'm guessing somewhere in europe but wonder how a marmalade pot from the east coast of Scotland exists in the same place as a German wartime tunnel?

car accident, compensation, claim compensation