Saturday 23 August 2008

1946 Photograph

Well I've now got hold of a photo taken in 1946 of the garden in front of my house, showing the rockface where the tunnel entrance is. It doesn't look like the rockface has been collapsed in the photo, although its also possible that the tunnel entrance may already have been partially covered over. The ground level on the right appears much higher than at the moment, and there seems to be rubble lying on the ground in the background. I've put a photo taken today from where I think is roughly the same vantage point

1946
2008

Its a little disappointing that this is the only photo of my garden (all the others he sent are of next door). Its also a shame that there's nothing in the picture to show that its taken just after the war (abandoned military vehicles perhaps?) frown

However, the good thing is that it looks like there was a solid quarry face immediately behind where the tunnel entrance we've already uncovered comes out, so once I clear the spoil away from the entrance, I'm hoping there's at least a 30 foot high wall of solid rock and I may not have to worry too much about having to build any retaining structure.

1945 aerials again for comparison with the garden shot.....

3 comments:

David said...

Could the area that you call collapsed rockface be the old rubble from the lowered driveway. Perhaps nothing collapsed, and all they did was bulldoze everything to one side and over the tunnel entrance. I expect the rockface will be identical to the 1946 photo. Where will your be moving the 100 tons of rock and mud to?

Maciej Malaszuk said...

has this quest died of natural causes already... quite a while since last update...

William Raven said...

Almost a month and no updates... :(